Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Write about a Great Moment in Sports from Your Life



The Shortstop

In my mind I am

the shortstop

who dives right,

back scooping

grounders

out of the ground

and reeling round

to toss

the perfect sound

to first base,

SNAP!


But on the field,

balls slip past my

knees,

bad hops

buzz round me

like bees,

I’m like some

shortstop disease.

Help me please !


And then

one day--

a miracle.

The bat cracks

and the ball

knifes

to my right.

I dive

like magic and

glove sucks

it in tight.

I dig it out

unfurl

and

hurl

the perfect lob

to Earl

At first base

standing tall,

eyes wide,

he blinks,

and my ball

sinks into is world,

SNAP!


SAFE !

Safe?


Don’t listen

to umpires

who only

know of

win and lose,

or fans

who snarl

their nasty

Boos!!!

Baseball is

ballet

today,

ignore the score!

Enjoy the PLAY!


© Barry Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment